Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Isles cut down roster

Just some quick thoughts and surprises about the Islanders opening night roster:

El Nino- I am actually a little surprised he is still on the Island. He is an amazing talent, but I didn't think he showed enough in the preseason to prove he was ready, granted I only saw him play a few times and he may have showed more when I hadn't seen him.  Wondering if they are using the 9 game window they have to fill in until Grabner is ready to jump into the system and help fill the hole left by the injury of Schremp, who would probably be back shortly after the 1st 9 games.

Michael Grabner- Not surprised he was claimed.  He is a great talent and he is still young.  Garth Snow has had pretty good success in bringing in guys who other teams didn't believe in.  Guys like Matt Moulson, Mark Streit and Rob Schremp have stepped up their game coming to the Isles after being underutilized by another team.

Jon Sim-  I know a lot of Islander fans seem upset that he made the team.  No one works harder and if he impressed everyone enough to stick on the big club even with a 2 way contract I say more power to him.  If he doesn't produce he can be replaced with Matt Martin once he gets his legs back after the recent injury.

Bruno Gervais / Milan Jurcina-  I have to say I am surprised they are going ahead with 8 defensemen.  I don't see them carrying 8 for too long.  Not sure if they are not sure which one they want to expose to waivers.  I think Gervais is the one who will really have to earn his spot.  I think Jurcina is more likely to be claimed on waivers, and I am not sure they would risk losing with nothing in return. Either trade Jurcina or demote Gervais seem to be the 2 options that would work when they get tired of trying to rotate out 2 spare defencemen,.

No comments:

Post a Comment